Conference Services Manager - - The Willard InterContinental Washington
Hotel Brand: InterContinental
Location: United States, DC, Washington
Hotel: The Willard Washington D.C. (WASHA), 1401 Pennsylvania Ave Nw, 20004
Job number: 100984
As the world’s largest family of luxury hotels, we all take great pride in being genuine ambassadors of the InterContinental® brand. Shaped by decades of international know-how and local insights, our passion for luxury travel spans cultures and customs. Inspiring us to create warm and sophisticated experiences for those seeking a richer perspective on the world.
Each of our hotels cultivates a distinctive style and ambience where we embrace every opportunity to give our guests a personal and enriching experience. If you’d like to embrace a wider world of experiences and opportunities, we’d like to welcome you to the world’s most international luxury hotel brand.
The Willard InterContinental Washington, DC is one of the most iconic hotels in the Nation’s Capital. Since 1818, the Willard InterContinental Hotel has played host to the world’s social and political elite. Often referred to as the ‘Residence of Presidents’, The Willard has welcomed U.S. presidents, foreign dignitaries and celebrities, as well as has been the site of many historic moments in U.S. history. Located in the heart of the nation's capital on Pennsylvania Avenue, the Willard continues to be the hotel of choice for heads of state and leaders of the world's business, cultural, social and political sectors. The hotel's 335 well-appointed large guestrooms include 41 elegant suites. Dining options consist of the Cafe du Parc, a popular French bistro with seasonal outdoor seating, traditional Afternoon Tea in Peacock Alley, the classic Round Robin Bar and Private In-Room Dining. There is over 20,000 square feet of Conference and Banquet space and the hotel hosts events ranging from intimate meetings to luxurious weddings. The Willard InterContinental combines heritage, sustainability and luxury with contemporary comfort and the latest technology.
Your day to day
This exciting position will manage and coordinate all conferences, meetings, group functions and group activities booked through the sales department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Negotiate food and beverage prices, function space, and hotel services within approved departmental booking guidelines. Confirm in writing to the client and all affected hotel departments all group requirements via sales contract terms, addendums, confirmation of pricing, group resumes, and/or banquet event order.
- Work with sales staff to service and solicit new business. Up-sell client events and manage function space and room block inventory as assigned.
- Assist in the preparation of the departmental budget and implementation of the hotel’s catering and conference strategy.
- May assist in developing and implement sales actions plan as assigned. May also participate in the annual budgeting and planning process.
- Work closely with other hotel departments to facilitate services agreed upon by the sales office and prospective clients.
- Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include all hotel departments.
- Interact with outside contacts:
- Guests – to ensure their total satisfaction
- Airlines, wholesalers, corporate accounts, travel agencies, ad agencies, etc. – to ensure repeat business, follow up on events, and generate new business
- Other contacts as needed (Professional organizations, community groups).
- As needed, assist the client in menu planning, food and beverage coordination, table arrangements, decorations, traffic flow, room set-up, group room blocks and VIP services, etc.
- Welcome group contact upon arrival at function and ensure guest satisfaction.
- Follow up with clients regularly during and after departure to ensure satisfaction and secure future bookings.
- Monitor and handle inquiry calls and provide client proposals in accordance with established departmental policies and procedures.
- Monitor and ensure all functions are set up, refreshed, and broken down in compliance with scheduled times and departmental procedures.
- Work in a timely manner to executive and distribute all Banquet Event Orders (BEO) and contracts as designated by sales.
- Conduct hotel and banquet facility tours and entertain qualified clients in accordance with company and property policies.
- Maintain client files and update information daily in accordance with established departmental policies and procedures. Review daily postings of charges to master accounts of clients and resolve any discrepancies, or process necessary adjustments. Review final bill prior to presenting to client. Complete post-conference reports of events for senior management, and complete other reports as needed or requested.
- Report and communicate Meeting event needs between the client and hotel.
- Prepare and distribute amenity request forms for specified clients. Obtain designated approvals and follow-up on delivery.
- Check function room set ups prior to guest arrival, ensuring all details are in agreement with client’s requirements and hotel standards. Ensure deficiencies are corrected by appropriate personnel.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
Some College plus 1-2 years sales or marketing related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Knowledge of hotel sales and/or catering preferred. Must speak fluent English.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
- Frequently standing up or moving within and outside of the facility
- Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 25 pounds
- Handling objects
- Bending, stooping, kneeling
- Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with others; demonstrated ability to interact with guests, employees and third parties that reflects highly on the hotel, the brand and the Company.
- Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when completing paperwork and management reports, interpreting results, and giving and receiving instructions.
- Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
- Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
- Ability to travel to attend workshops, tradeshows, conventions, etc.
- May require a valid Driver’s License.
- May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Alcohol awareness certification and/or food service permit or valid health/food handler card as required by local or state government agency.
What we offer
We’ll reward all your hard work with a great salary and benefits – including a uniform, great room discount and superb training.
Join us and you’ll become part of the global IHG family – and like all families, all our individual team members share some winning characteristics. As a team, we work better together – we trust and support each other, we do the right thing and we welcome different perspectives. You need to show us you care, that you notice the little things that make a difference to guests as well as always looking for ways to improve - click here to find out more about us.
At IHG Hotels & Resorts, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. IHG Hotels & Resorts provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to an individual's, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital or familial status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
IHG is committed to promoting a culture of inclusion where everyone feels safe, respected and valued. We seek talent from all backgrounds to join our teams, and encourage our colleagues to bring their authentic and best selves to work.
Not Applicable for Colorado Applicants
Don't quite meet every single requirement, but still believe you'd be a great fit for the job? We'll never know unless you hit the 'Apply' button. Start your journey with us today and let's #GoFurtherTogether.