Why do we assess?
Why do we assess?
Having the right people working in the right roles, working for the right brands is a critical part of our success at IHG.
By working in the right role our people can be at their best and, at the same time, deliver on our brand promises. By bringing our distinctive brands to life for our guests on a daily basis, our people are the reason why our guests choose to stay with us again and again.
This is why we have a robust selection and assessment process. It helps us to match the right talent to the right job, identify individual capabilities and predict on-the-job performance, while ensuring we are always fair and objective.
At IHG, we use a variety of methods - from interviews, psychometric tests to assessment centres. Depending on the role that you’ve applied for, we may ask you to complete assessments that look at your personality, ability, motivation or interests.
Taking an assessment can be daunting. To make sure you’re putting your best foot forward, here are a few tips to help you prepare.
Search and apply for your role with IHG here
Before an assessment
- Plan and schedule. Make sure you have enough time to complete your assessments. Also remember to ask yourself “What time of the day am I at my best to concentrate?”
- Find a quiet and calm environment. If you’re completing an online assessment, you should find a quiet place with good internet connection. Some of the assessments are timed and cannot be paused midway so it’s important that you complete them in a quiet and calm environment where you won’t be interrupted.
- Take a practice test. Examples of tests used are usually available online for practice. Trying these may help to reduce anxiety and help you to feel more prepared.
- Discuss any special needs. If you need anything special to be able to complete an assessment, make sure you discuss this with the recruiter.
During an assessment
- Be focused and read thoroughly. Make sure you read all instructions within the assessment and any other information provided to you. Work through each question with no distraction or input from others.
- It’s all about you. If you’re asked to complete a personality questionnaire, remember that there’s no right or wrong answer. We want to know all about you so it’s important that you provide honest answers. Although these assessments aren’t usually timed, try not to spend too much time dwelling on each question. Your first response is usually the most reflective of you! Take a break between assessments. If you need to complete several assessments, take short breaks between them to ensure you’re able to concentrate and give each one your best shot!