Sous Chef - InterContinental Boston
Location: United States, Massachusetts, Boston
Hotel: InterContinental - Boston (BOSHA)
Job number: R189124
Do you see yourself as Sous Chef? What's your passion? Whether you're into sports, shopping or just reading a good book, at IHG we're interested in YOU. At IHG we employ people who apply the same amount of care and passion to their jobs as they do their hobbies - people who put our guests at the heart of everything they do. And we're looking for more people like this to join our friendly and professional team.
For over 70 years, the InterContinental® Brand has been writing the story of international travel and showing guests the InterContinental Life through personalized service, memorable, one of a kind experiences and global etiquette. Shaped by decades of international know-how and local insights, our passion for luxury travel spans cultures and customs; inspiring us to create warm and sophisticated experiences for those seeking a richer perspective on the world. Each of our hotels cultivates a distinctive style and ambience where we embrace every opportunity to give our guests a personal and enriching experience. As the world's largest family of luxury hotels, we all take great pride in being genuine ambassadors of the InterContinental® brand. If you'd like to embrace a wider world of experiences and opportunities, we'd like to welcome you to the world's most international luxury hotel brand.
InterContinental® Boston is a landmark of luxury; top rated on Trip Advisor for Boston hotels, named a ‘Top Place to Work’ by The Boston Globe, rated as one of the ‘Best Hotels in the World' by Condé Nast Traveler magazine and featuring a Forbes Four-Star, 4 Diamond AAA rated hotel experience. The property overlooks Boston's historic waterfront, featuring 424 luxurious ultra-modern accommodations with distinctive style and breathtaking waterfront or downtown city views, a full-service spa and fitness club, 32,000 square feet of premier meeting and event space, and an array of restaurants and bars influenced by a variety of international flavors. We are looking for passionate people who are charming, confident and internationally-minded to ensure we continue the story of making great things happen at InterContinental® Boston.
Your day to day
Assist in managing a single food and beverage outlet or a shift or section of food and beverage operations. Supervise kitchen employees and entry-level Culinary Staff in preparation and cooking of various food items and their garnishment and presentation. Responsible for menu planning and development and cost control. Primary duty is professional chef work and supervision of other culinary employees.
- Supervise activities of assigned staff, communicate goals, and assign/schedule work. Communicate and enforce policies and procedures.
- Recommend and initiate disciplinary or other staffing/human resource-related actions in accordance with company rules and policies. Alert management of potentially serious issues. Assist with employee selection, training and development, and performance coaching.
- Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Sales and Marketing, Catering, Banquets, Maintenance, and Guest Services. Assist sales, catering, and banquet staffs with banquets, parties and other special events.
- Inspect the cleanliness of the line floor and all kitchen stations. Maintain and strictly abide by proper storage procedures and state sanitation and health regulations. Notify the Maintenance Department of any needed repairs.
- Review the following day’s menus and complete requisitions for food and supplies needed from various storerooms; maintain inventory control procedures.
- Maintain and enforce procedures to (1) ensure the security and proper storage of food and beverage products, kitchen inventory and equipment, (2) replenish supplies, inventory, uniforms, etc. in a timely and efficient manner, and (3) to minimize waste and control costs.
- Assist in determining the minimum and maximum stocks of all food, material and equipment.
- Assist in cooking and food preparation as required.
- May serve as Manager on Duty or perform other duties as assigned.
What we need from you
Qualifications include basic reading, writing and math skills and food service experience with general knowledge of restaurant operations. An alcohol awareness certification and/or food service permit or valid health/food handler cards is necessary, as required by local or state government agency. You may be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays. This job requires ability to perform the following: carrying or lifting items weighing up to 50 pounds, moving about in the kitchen, handling food objects, products and utensils, bending, stooping and kneeling. Preferred union experience.
What we offer
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as access to a wide variety of discount programs and the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Please get in touch and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG. IHG is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans.