Payroll Specialist - InterContinental Boston
Location: United States, Massachusetts, Boston
Hotel: InterContinental - Boston (BOSHA)
Job number: R191557
What's your passion? Whether you're into fishing, wind surfing or checkers, at IHG we're interested in YOU. At IHG we employ people who apply the same amount of care and passion to their jobs as they do their hobbies - people who put our guests at the heart of everything they do. And we're looking for more people like this to join our friendly and professional team.
HOTEL OVERVIEW: For 70 years, the InterContinental® Brand has been writing the story of international travel and showing guests the InterContinental Life through personalized service, memorable, one of a kind experiences and global etiquette. As part of the largest luxury hotel brand in the world, InterContinental® Boston is a landmark of luxury; rated in the top five on Trip Advisor for Boston hotels, named one of the ‘Best Hotels in the World' by Condé Nast Traveler magazine and featuring a Forbes Four-Star, 4 Diamond AAA rated hotel experience. The property overlooks Boston's historic waterfront, featuring 424 luxurious ultra-modern accommodations with distinctive style and breathtaking waterfront or downtown city views, a full service spa and fitness club, 32,000 square feet of premier meeting and event space, and an array of restaurants and bars influenced by a variety of international flavors. We are looking for passionate people who are charming, confident and internationally-minded to ensure we continue the story of making great things happen at InterContinental® Boston.
Your day to day
- Prepare and transmit payroll entries within established timeframes. Download and edit information from timekeeping system. Audit and post entries into payroll system, including gratuities. Ensure that correct payments are made, taxes are withheld, overtime is correctly charged and paid, and that payroll is processed and executed according to all state, federal and local laws, rules and regulations.
- Prepare reports for hotel management, including headcount and production reports, overtime reports, costing reports, etc. as needed or requested.
- Troubleshoot payroll problems/issues for employees as requested. Coordinate resolution with IHG Corporate office or payroll vendor as appropriate.
- Prepare manual checks or advance payment requests as needed or required.
- Enter and/or post employee information, including benefit deductions, new hires and terminations, garnishments, child support payments, direct deposit information, etc. into payroll and/or timekeeping system in a timely manner.
- Maintain orderly filing systems for all payroll supportive documentation and payroll reports. Maintain confidentiality of payroll information regarding past and present employees, and adequately safeguard payroll files.
- Perform other payroll-related duties as needed, such as returning unclaimed paychecks, preparing human resources or accounting documentation or reports on payroll-related statistics, ensuring checks are distributed in a secure and timely manner, etc.
- Union Benefits verifications and payments
- Bi-weekly payroll reconciliations
- Month End payroll related accruals and journal entries
- Month End balance sheet reconciliations payroll related balance sheet accounts
- Provide daily cash and change requirements for the hotel. Maintain and disperse cash from house fund safe and petty cash fund, account for all disbursements from funds, and perform daily house bank count.
- Issue banks to other cashiers as needed, and maintain a documented inventory of all cashier banks. Collect and count all cashier’s envelopes daily, and research any cash variances. Conduct periodic audits of cashier banks. Notify management of any issues or problems.
- Prepare reports such as the Petty Cash Report, Over and Short Report (on other cashiers), General Cashier Report, Cash Management Report, and/or other reports as needed.
- Partners with Human Resources, Benefits, Compensation, and General Accounting to ensure a timely and accurate payroll submission
- Work with Third Party Payroll provider (ADP)
- Support any required action related to local, state, and federal tax changes and IRS demands
- Support year-end W-2 review and processing
- Calculate and prepare monthly journal entries relating to payroll and benefits liabilities
- Reconcile the above-mentioned accounts and other areas as needed, monthly.
- Keeps abreast of payroll laws and regulations through connections and outreach to industry associations and partnerships to ensure current in payroll practices.
- May assist with other duties as needed.
What we need from you
Qualifications and Requirements:
Minimum: High school diploma or equivalent and 2+ years of experience in an accounting or position or similar; or an equivalent combination of education and work experience. Advanced Excel skills required. Ability to speak fluent English required.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
- Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 25 pounds
- Standing up and moving about the front office or other designated areas
- Communicating with other people
- Handling objects, supplies, boxes of merchandise, etc.
- Bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching
- Reading abilities are utilized often when reading time records, payroll-related documents and work materials.
- Mathematical skills are used frequently to perform calculations, reconcile account balances, etc.
- Frequent contact with guests and outside vendors is necessary to resolve billing issues or answer questions. Strong customer service skills are required.
- Prefer candidate with Local 26 union experience (although not required)
- May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
What we offer
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which may include healthcare support, dental, vision, disability and life insurance support, and a matching 401k plan. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as access to a wide variety of discount programs and the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Please get in touch and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans.