Pastry Cook - InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown
Hotel Brand: InterContinental
Location: United States, California, Los Angeles
Hotel: Los Angeles Downtown (LAXHC), 900 Wilshire Boulevard, 90017
Job number: USA26985
Do you see yourself as a Pastry Cook? What's your passion? At IHG we're interested in YOU. We employ people who apply the same amount of care and passion to their jobs as they do their hobbies - people who put our guests at the heart of everything they do. And we're looking for more people like this to join our friendly and professional team.
As the world’s largest family of luxury hotels, we all take great pride in being genuine ambassadors of the InterContinental® brand. Shaped by decades of international know-how and local insights, our passion for luxury travel spans cultures and customs. Inspiring us to create warm and sophisticated experiences for those seeking a richer perspective on the world.
Each of our hotels cultivates a distinctive style and ambience where we embrace every opportunity to give our guests a personal and enriching experience. If you’d like to embrace a wider world of experiences and opportunities, we’d like to welcome you to the world’s most international luxury hotel brand.
Your day to day
Prepare, bake and finish desserts, breads and other baked goods in accordance with departmental quality standards. Assist with advanced presentations.
- Control food and beverage usage to minimize waste. Assist in tracking production, consumption and waste of all baked goods produced.
- Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Catering, Banquets, Outlets, Maintenance, and Guest Services.
- Maintain sanitation, cleanliness, safety and health standards. Inspect the sanitation, operation and cleanliness of all tools, equipment and supplies, including ovens. Alert management of potentially serious issues.
- Prepare baked goods in accordance with portion and quality standards as specified in recipes.
- Requisition supply items as needed from storerooms; assist in receiving items and taking inventory.
- Set up work station as required to include mis en place, tools, equipment and supplies.
- Clean and/or break down work station and complete closing duties including transporting dirty pots to the potwash station, sterilizing and cleaning cutting boards and work tables, and preparing station for the next day’s activities.
- May assist with other duties as needed which may include but is not limited to producing centerpieces for banquets and buffets.
What we need from you
High school diploma or equivalent, plus two years of experience or training in bakery or food preparation.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
- Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 50 pounds
- Standing up and moving about the kitchen
- Handling food, objects, products and utensils
- Bending, stooping, kneeling
- Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with the other bakers, wait staff or guests.
- Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when preparing meals from a recipe, or when monitoring inventory.
- Mathematical skills, including basic math, percentages, quantities, and variances are used frequently
- Alcohol awareness certification and/or food service permit or valid health/food handler card as required by local or state government agency
- May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays
What we offer
Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as access to a wide variety of discount programs and the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself. So what's your passion? Please click “Apply” and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans
Don't quite meet every single requirement, but still believe you'd be a great fit for the job? We'll never know unless you hit the 'Apply' button. Start your journey with us today and let's #GoFurtherTogether.