Host - The Willard InterContinental Washington
Hotel Brand: InterContinental Hotels
Location: United States, District of Columbia, Washington
Hotel: InterContinental - The Willard Washington D.C. (WASHA)
Job number: R202366
As the world’s largest family of luxury hotels, we all take great pride in being genuine ambassadors of the InterContinental® brand. Shaped by decades of international know-how and local insights, our passion for luxury travel spans cultures and customs. Inspiring us to create warm and sophisticated experiences for those seeking a richer perspective on the world.
Each of our hotels cultivates a distinctive style and ambience where we embrace every opportunity to give our guests a personal and enriching experience. If you’d like to embrace a wider world of experiences and opportunities, we’d like to welcome you to the world’s most international luxury hotel brand.
The Willard InterContinental Washington, DC is one of the most iconic hotels in the Nation’s Capital. Since 1818, the Willard InterContinental Hotel has played host to the world’s social and political elite. Often referred to as the ‘Residence of Presidents’, The Willard has welcomed U.S. presidents, foreign dignitaries and celebrities, as well as has been the site of many historic moments in U.S. history. Located in the heart of the nation's capital on Pennsylvania Avenue, the Willard continues to be the hotel of choice for heads of state and leaders of the world's business, cultural, social and political sectors. The hotel's 335 well-appointed large guestrooms include 41 elegant suites. Dining options consist of the Cafe du Parc, a popular French bistro with seasonal outdoor seating, traditional Afternoon Tea in Peacock Alley, the classic Round Robin Bar and Private In-Room Dining. There is over 20,000 square feet of Conference and Banquet space and the hotel hosts events ranging from intimate meetings to luxurious weddings. The Willard InterContinental combines heritage, sustainability and luxury with contemporary comfort and the latest technology.
Your day to day
Great restaurant memories come from many places. The sights, sounds, scents and, importantly, service. As a Restaurant Host, you’ll welcome our guests and help keep service on-track and up to standard. By tailoring each guest’s experience to their unique tastes, you’ll create memories as delightful as the dishes.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Oversee cash handling, check/credit policies and procedures and handling customer service issues to minimize complaints.
- Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Sales and Marketing, Catering, Banquets, Maintenance, and Guest Services.
- May receive customer payments and process transactions as outlined in the cash and charge procedures as needed.
- Perform side-work, and any other opening or closing duties as required. Ensure that wait staff stations are clean and maintained throughout shift.
- Clear and clean tables in a prompt and efficient manner. Clean and/or wipe down tables, chairs, walls, windows, mirrors, and floors as necessary.
- Greet all guests and take beverage and food orders in a prompt and professional manner
- Maintain full knowledge of menu items and recommend per guest requirements
- Prepare food and beverages for service to hotel guests and present food according to established health and presentation standards.
- Respond in a courteous and prompt manner to all guest requests and complaints.
- Make appropriate service recovery gestures according to established guidelines in order to ensure total guest satisfaction.
- Ensure side work duties are complete and tables are set before, during and after operating hours.
- Alert Outlet Management of any service and/or safety issues. Make appropriate service recovery gestures according to established guidelines in order to ensure total guest satisfaction.
- Inform management of hazardous situations, emergencies or threats to the security of guests, employees or hotel assets.
What we need from you
Qualifications And Requirements
Minimum: High school diploma or equivalent and at least 1 year food service experience in a luxury full service restaurant or similar setting. Some college experience preferred.
This job requires the ability to perform the following:
- Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 50 pounds
- Moving about the outlet(s) and climbing stairs.
- Handling objects and products
- Bending, stooping, kneeling
- Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with customers and employees
- Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when completing paperwork, scheduling, and giving and receiving instructions.
- Mathematical skills, including basic math, cash handling, are utilized frequently.
- Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
- Alcohol awareness certification and/or food service permit or valid health/food handler card as required by local or state government agency.
- May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays
- Silverware / OPEN TABLE / HOTSos
What we offer
We’ll reward all your hard work with a great salary and benefits – including a uniform, great room discount and superb training.
Join us and you’ll become part of the global IHG family – and like all families, all our individual team members share some winning characteristics. As a team, we work better together – we trust and support each other, we do the right thing and we welcome different perspectives. You need to show us you care, that you notice the little things that make a difference to guests as well as always looking for ways to improve - click here to find out more about us.
At IHG Hotels & Resorts, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. IHG Hotels & Resorts provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to an individual's, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital or familial status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
IHG is committed to promoting a culture of inclusion where everyone feels safe, respected and valued. We seek talent from all backgrounds to join our teams, and encourage our colleagues to bring their authentic and best selves to work.
Not Applicable for Colorado Applicants
Don't quite meet every single requirement, but still believe you'd be a great fit for the job? We'll never know unless you hit the 'Apply' button. Start your journey with us today and let's #GoFurtherTogether.