Barback, Moon Rabbit by Kevin Tien - InterContinental Washington DC - The Wharf
Hotel Brand: InterContinental Hotels
Location: United States, District of Columbia, Washington
Hotel: InterContinental - Washington D.C. - The Wharf (WASHC)
Job number: R205949
As the world’s largest family of luxury hotels, we all take great pride in being genuine ambassadors of the InterContinental® brand. Shaped by decades of international know-how and local insights, our passion for luxury travel spans cultures and customs. Inspiring us to create warm and sophisticated experiences for those seeking a richer perspective on the world.
Each of our hotels cultivates a distinctive style and ambience where we embrace every opportunity to give our guests a personal and enriching experience. If you’d like to embrace a wider world of experiences and opportunities, we’d like to welcome you to the world’s most international luxury hotel brand.
A luxurious hotel destination at The Wharf on D.C.’s Waterfront, the InterContinental Washington D.C. – The Wharf is the newest addition to the reimagined Wharf neighborhood bringing sophistication to its contemporary style. Perfectly placed on the beautiful Potomac River, InterContinental Washington D.C. – The Wharf enjoys the most incredible waterfront views of D.C. Steps away from America’s political epicenter, the hotel embraces guests with an exquisitely curated resort destination that reignites the river’s edge and a captivating sanctuary in the center of The Wharf neighborhood, paying homage to the maritime and industrial-working heritage of its setting. Featuring Moon Rabbit, a contemporary Vietnamese restaurant by Chef Kevin Tien with a unique and complex menu, as well as a relaxing seasonal rooftop pool with striking Potomac River views and the indulging full-service spa, The Spa at The Wharf, modern luxury, culture, and a rich history combine in the Wharf neighborhood to create a perfect atmosphere for guests and locals alike.
Your day to day
After a big meeting far away from home, or a long wait for a delayed flight, is there anyone more welcoming than a smiling Barback? As the friendly face of our hotel bars, you’ll also be a helpful host, a local expert, and a proud brand ambassador. Whether you’re delivering drinks exactly as our guests want or serving them delicious food, you’ll be devoted to creating relaxing, memorable experiences.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Stock bars with liquor, beer, wine, ice, and supplies by following established procedures.
- Clean beverage equipment, glasses, and service areas; assist Bar Wait Staff and bartenders in clearing tables and cleaning lounge area.
- Assist Bartender in the preparation of garnishes and mixes.
- Pick up bartender’s food and cocktail servers when necessary.
- Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments.
- Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Sales and Marketing, Catering, Banquets, Maintenance, and Guest Services.
- Receive customer payments and communicate to the cocktail servers and bartenders to continue the procedure as needed.
- Perform side-work, and any other opening or closing duties as required. Ensure that wait staff stations are clean and maintained throughout shift.
- The opening and closure side work procedures will have the objective e of seating up the team for success.
- Clear and clean tables in a prompt and efficient manner. Clean and/or wipe down tables, chairs, walls, windows, mirrors, and floors as necessary.
- Greet all guests and take beverage and food orders in a prompt and professional manner when required
- Prepare food and beverages for service to hotel guests and present food according to established health and presentation standards.
- Respond in a courteous and prompt manner to all guest requests and complaints.
- Make appropriate service recovery gestures according to established guidelines in order to ensure total guest satisfaction.
- Ensure side work duties are complete and tables are set before, during and after operating hours.
- Alert Outlet Management of any service and/or safety issues. Make appropriate service recovery gestures according to established guidelines in order to ensure total guest satisfaction.
- Inform management of hazardous situations, emergencies or threats to the security of guests, employees or hotel assets.
- Inspect restaurant areas and product daily to ensure high quality food and food presentation and cleanliness
- May assist with other duties as assigned.
What we need from you
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Minimum: High school diploma or equivalent and at least 1 year food service experience in a full service restaurant or similar setting. Some college experience preferred.
This job requires the ability to perform the following:
- Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 50 pounds
- Moving about the outlet(s) and climbing stairs.
- Handling objects and products
- Bending, stooping, kneeling
- Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with customers and employees
- Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when completing paperwork, scheduling, and giving and receiving instructions.
- Mathematical skills, including basic math, cash handling, are utilized frequently.
- Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
- Alcohol awareness certification and/or food service permit or valid health/food handler card as required by local or state government agency.
- May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays
What we offer
We’ll reward all your hard work with a great salary and benefits – including a uniform, great room discount and superb training.
Join us and you’ll become part of the global IHG family – and like all families, all our individual team members share some winning characteristics. As a team, we work better together – we trust and support each other, we do the right thing and we welcome different perspectives. You need to show us you care, that you notice the little things that make a difference to guests as well as always looking for ways to improve - click here to find out more about us.
At IHG Hotels & Resorts, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. IHG Hotels & Resorts provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to an individual's, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital or familial status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
IHG is committed to promoting a culture of inclusion where everyone feels safe, respected and valued. We seek talent from all backgrounds to join our teams, and encourage our colleagues to bring their authentic and best selves to work.
Not Applicable for Colorado Applicants
Don't quite meet every single requirement, but still believe you'd be a great fit for the job? We'll never know unless you hit the 'Apply' button. Start your journey with us today and let's #GoFurtherTogether.