Assistant Director of Finance - InterContinental San Francisco
Hotel Brand: InterContinental Hotels
Location: United States, California, San Francisco
Hotel: InterContinental - San Francisco (SFOHB)
Job number: R190906
At InterContinental Hotels & Resorts® we want our guests to feel special, cosmopolitan and In the Know which means we need you to:
• Be charming by being approachable, having confidence and showing respect.
• Stay in the moment by understanding and anticipating guests’ needs, being attentive and taking ownership
of getting things done.
• Make it memorable by being knowledgeable, sharing stories and showing your style to create moments that make people feel special.
Your day to day
• Assist in managing revenues received and dispersed including accounts receivable, accounts payable, and payroll, audit, General Ledger reporting, and cash handling functions for the hotel. Implement and maintain acceptable accounting practices and procedures as required by company policy and procedures, generally accepted accounting practices, and as effected by local conditions.
• Prepare financial analyses of hotel operations including variance explanation and make recommendations to ensure the achievement of business goals.
• Assist in the preparation of budgets and financial forecasts and reporting.
• Develop and implement financial control procedures and systems; maintain documents for audits of hotel accounts; ensure compliance with government regulations, federal, state and local laws, to include EEOC, Wage and Hour, union contracts, etc. Independently comply with record retention requirements.
• Assists with the review of operating equipment stores to avoid unnecessary/excessive purchases and to eliminate (or at least be aware) of obsolete slow moving items.
• Assists with ensuring all accounts are reconciled on monthly basis, review and approve those reconciliation’s.
• Assists with ensuring payments are made to IHG (All Fees and billings) as fast as possible.
• Work with other management personnel to establish and implement hotel service standards to achieve maximum profitability and efficiency.
• Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include hotel department heads in all departments and Directors of Area or Regional Hotel Finance to obtain/provide information.
• Interact with outside contacts:
o Guests – to provide service, send bills and collect payment
o Vendors – to pay bills or discuss pricing or billing issues; to ensure proof of insurance
o Hotel legal counsel – to obtain legal advice as needed
o Insurance companies, tax consultants, auditors, commercial and government banks – to collaborate on ongoing financial issues for the hotel
o HMG accounting staff – to coordinate financial/accounting information, budget preparation, clarify issues and resolve problems.
o Regulatory agencies – regarding compliance matters
o Other contacts as needed (Professional organizations, community groups)
• Respond quickly to guest requests in a friendly manner. Follow up to ensure guest satisfaction.
• Assists with the distribution of forecast information as an up to date management tool for operating departments.
• Assist in the management of day-to-day operations and assignments of Accounting staff, plan and organize work, communicate goals, and schedule/assign work. Advise staff of formal policies and procedures, identifying options and resolving issues. Alert management of potentially serious issues.
• May serve as “manager on duty” as required.
• May process payroll or verify payroll dollars and reports in a decentralized environment.
• May authorize purchase requests as needed.
• May assist with other duties as assigned including assisting staff with their job functions.
What we need from you
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or equivalent and 2+ years in hotel accounting or audit with experience in a supervisory role, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience. CPA preferred. Must speak fluent English.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
• Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 25 pounds
• Communicating with other people
• Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
• Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
• Reading abilities are used often in reviewing financial analyses, budgets, and other related reports. Writing abilities are used in compiling these financial reports, as well as to document.
• May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
What we offer
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which can include healthcare and dental coverage, disability, and life insurance, and a matched 401(k) program. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Please click "Apply Online" and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer Minorities / Females / Disabilities / Veterans