Assistant Chief Engineer
Hotel Brand: InterContinental Hotels
Location: United States, Illinois, Chicago
Hotel: InterContinental - Chicago Magnificent Mile (ORDHA)
Job number: R206744
THE JEWEL OF CHICAGO'S MAGNIFICENT MILE
InterContinental Chicago is a lot like the city itself; historic but hip, refined but relaxed, cultured but comfortable. A member of Michigan Avenue's architectural elite since 1929, our hotel is within easy reach of Chicago's incomparable museums, stores, theatres and restaurants. Navy Pier, Shedd Aquarium and Oak Street Beach are minutes away.
The InterContinental Hotel Group owns, operates and franchise more than 9,000 hotels, 120 million stays per year in nearly 100 countries. Our people lie at the heart of our business - and by bringing your expertise and passion to IHG; you will help us to achieve our goal of creating Great Hotels Guest Love.
Michael Jordan's Steakhouse is a dynamic restaurant founded on excellence befitting the caliber of Michael Jordan himself. Excellence in food and service among the team members is the game plan for our guests. Cornerstone Restaurant Group is our business partner for Michael Jordan's Steakhouse and Michael Jordan's Bar to help execute our flawless, personalized service.
Your day to day
Manage the day to day activities of the maintenance department. Schedule employees, assign daily work and projects, train and coach employees, inspect work for quality and productivity, and initiate corrective and/or disciplinary action as needed. Serve as lead on various maintenance projects.
At InterContinental Hotels & Resorts® we want our guests to feel special, cosmopolitan and In the Know which means we need you to:
- Be charming by being approachable, having confidence and showing respect.
- Stay in the moment by understanding and anticipating guests’ needs, being attentive and taking ownership
of getting things done.
- Make it memorable by being knowledgeable, sharing stories and showing your style to create moments that make people feel special.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow and enforce procedures that ensure the security of inventory such as tools, supplies, equipment, furniture, televisions, etc., replenishes supplies and inventory in a timely and efficient manner, and minimizes waste.
- Assist in educating/training employees on current safety issues to ensure compliance with all federal, state and local laws and safety regulations. Inform management of hazardous situations, emergencies or threats to the security of guests, employees or hotel assets.
- Monitor performance and recommend and/or initiate disciplinary or other staffing/human resources-related actions in accordance with company rules and policies. Alert management of potentially serious issues.
- Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments.
- Respond in a courteous and prompt manner to all guest questions, complaints and/or requests to ensure strong guest satisfaction.
- Inspect work assignments to ensure that work is completed in a timely manner and within specifications. Manage various maintenance and repair projects to ensure timely completion within budget and specifications.
- Perform maintenance and repair work on the interior and exterior of buildings, hotel rooms and contents, laundry and kitchen/refrigeration equipment, lighting, heating, air conditioning (HVAC), ventilation, and water treatment systems, and swimming pool-if applicable, etc.
- Schedule and oversee preventive maintenance as outlined in the Preventative Maintenance Program (e.g. HoliKare, CrowneKare, SuiteKare, etc.).
- Ensure that equipment is prepared and operational for the following day’s work.
- Assist with other duties as assigned.
This job is 3rd in command of maintenance/engineering operations of hotel with multiple sites and facilities, a number of major outlets, high volume catering and convention facilities, and a large number of VIP and key guests.
What we need from you
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Some college or advanced vocational training plus four years of experience in general building maintenance and/or construction. Hotel maintenance and supervisory experience preferred.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
- Carrying, lifting, pushing and/or pulling items weighing up to 100-300 pounds
- Frequently standing up and moving about the facility
- Frequently handling objects and equipment to maintain the facility
- Frequently bending, stooping, kneeling, climbing and crawling
- Specialized expertise in plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and carpentry fields. Level 3 EPA Certification, HVAC and refrigeration certificate, licensed plumber and/or journeyman status for electrician and carpenter may be required.
- Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with the other supervisors, hotel staff and hotel guests.
- Reading and writing abilities are utilized in order to document or record all tasks completed, to order supplies, to receive their instructions for the day and/or to read equipment repair manuals.
- Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
- Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
- May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the essential nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be ALL responsibilities or qualifications of the job.
What we offer
At IHG we employ people who apply the same amount of care and passion to their jobs as they do their hobbies - people who put our guests at the heart of everything they do.
And we're looking for more people like this to join our friendly and professional team. In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which may include healthcare support, dental, vision, disability and life insurance support, and a matching 401k plan.
Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as access to a wide variety of discount programs and the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Do you see yourself as an Assistant Chief Engineer? Please get in touch and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans.
Not applicable for Colorado applicants.
Don't quite meet every single requirement, but still believe you'd be a great fit for the job? We'll never know unless you hit the 'Apply' button. Start your journey with us today and let's #GoFurtherTogether.